As you’ve guessed, it’s that time again. The Pintester Movement. This time, Christmas themed. I thought I’d push the boat out a bit & try something crafty this time. When I got the email, I immediately got organised as I almost forgot last time. By immediately I mean after I’d wrapped my mind around the whole Christmas thing. Oh, and after catching up on the latest “The Originals” episode. And a coffee….so a little less ‘immediately’ and a little more procrastination.
As we haven’t had an actual Christmas tree since Master 4 annihilated the little one we had when he was 5 months old, I was at a loss as to what to make.
I made a felt one last year so it’s not like we don’t have anything at all for all you Christmas over-the-toppers. I wanted something easy-ish but useful, so I went with this on the Martha Stewart website. Turns out not as easy as it looks, and pretty useless if you don’t have a tree. I totally nailed my objective wouldn’t you say?!
It called for old Christmas cards…perfect, as I have a little collection of those that drives Hubby crazy if he happens to stumble across my stash. He always asks what on earth I’m saving them for. Well, as it turns out, for times like these of course! As it so happens, I still had my SIL’s large hole punch do I got to work punching out 20 circles.
It then calls for you to cut out an extra circle in order to draw an equilateral triangle to cut out & use as a template to trace onto EACH circle. First though, I had to concentrate really hard on trying to remember what an equilateral triangle was & how best to draw it. Figured it out without resorting to google..yay me. Mr Starke would be so proud. I then tediously drew, in pen, on each circle. Turns out pencil would work out better but we’ll get to that…
Scored each triangle, pressed too hard a couple of times as my concentration slipped & my mind wondered,oops. But no way I was redoing anything so I forged ahead…
The next step was to use clear-drying glue..of which I had very little. Hence the white glue…which, luckily, turned out to dry clear too. Bonus. Then “join one flap each from two circles — triangles should point in the same direction. Using the same technique, attach the flaps of three more circles to these two, forming what will be the top. Make the bottom in the same way”. Confused much??!! I did manage to eventually work out the logistics, you’ll be glad to hear.
Hence the reason for pencil. I would’ve rubbed it out & maybe it would have looked better. Working with glue…not my hidden talent!
The next step I have only one picture because it was impossible! Between getting glue EVERYWHERE & then trying to get the card to stay stuck together & not on my fingers, I decided pictures weren’t on top of my list. The instructions “Glue remaining 10 circles together, this time with triangle points alternating up and down, forming a straight line. Glue the two end flaps to form a ring; this will be the middle section. Then glue top and bottom pieces to the flaps of the middle section”. What a mission. Surely this was wrong but hey, I wasn’t spending anymore time on figuring it out.
But, I persevered and eventually managed to get it to stay together.
Yep, that’s glue all over my fingers!
As for the silver thread I was instructed to use to hang it…YEAH, RIGHT! Black cotton won the day.
Master 4 was very thrilled with it, it hung in the boys room for a couple of days, until the glue failed. Which shocked me ‘coz it stuck to my fingers like, well, like glue! It is now sitting very sadly on the windowsill, awaiting surgery. As if!
The verdict : don’t bother unless you are REALLY into that sort of thing. And, even then, I’d say don’t bother.
If you haven’t already, head over to Sonja’s blog, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.