Hong Kong Disneyland

As promised, I’ll attempt to remember the details of our 2 night stopover in Hong Kong where we took the boys to Disneyland. At the time, I thought I’d have no problems remembering everything without having to write it all down immediately, turns out I should’ve written it down immediately! I swear, the minute you have kids it’s like permission for all other mental faculties to shut down (I refuse to believe it’s age, 32 is the new 25 is it not??)

We landed in HK at about 7.10am, 20min ahead of schedule. We had the bright idea to drop off some of our luggage at the Left Luggage counter so as not to have so much to lug around on the Metro. This included Hubby’s mirror I mentioned in the previous post, and the boys backpacks. I emptied one bag into the other so we only had to pay for 1…and the damn mirror of course.

We passed a Tourist Info counter on the way back towards the Metro station and I thought it would be a good idea to ask about which train we would have to take etc which I’m glad I did as she recommended we take a taxi instead. Cheaper for 4 people and alot less hassle (we would’ve had to change trains twice and then caught the free shuttle from the train station to the hotel) It cost less than NZ$20 for about half an hour taxi ride. Well worth it when the Metro was apparently NZ$9 per person. The boys were disappointed that they didn’t get to go on the train but we were soon distracted with not having to be in a car seat in the taxi!

Having reached the hotel by 9am, we were hoping to have an early check in but it was not to be. We could indeed check in, but the room would only be available from 3pm. We left our bags and grabbed a bite to eat at one of the hotels restaurants. Hubby indulged in some Asian breakfast dishes and I found the all important caffeine. And the boys had a muffin…very adventurous eaters these two!

We debated whether or not we would get a 2 day pass for the park now that we had such a long wait for our room, instead of our original plan of a 1 day pass with some other touristy things thrown in too. Green light for the 2 day pass so off we trotted to buy them (conveniently at the hotel’s reception) before jumping on the free shuttle bus from the hotel doors to the parking lot at the park. We had no idea that the park only opens at 10am – can you tell how much research we did – but by lucky coincidence, we arrived at 0940. Which allowed a slow meander towards the entrance gates, through security turnstiles & a look at “Main Street”.


Main Street


Awesome fountain


We waited outside the gates for about 5min before they actually opened. And you wouldn’t believe how fascinated people were with our 2 little blondies. We felt like celebrities, and we are definitely a part of a number of Asian families holiday pics!

The surge through the gates at opening was unbelievable! People were running flat out to get to the rides! Although we had seen a map of the park on the internet and had a paper one from the hotel, we didn’t really have any idea where we should head to first. We naively thought that we’d wing-it on the day. We had no idea what lay ahead!

The boys were intrigued by it all, but Master 3 only wanted to go on the train…which only goes in one direction, with one stop along the way. So if you want to see the whole park, you have to Q up at the main station…with everyone else. Or you can see half the park by catching it at the only other stop it makes, about half way around. But you then can’t stay on when you get back to Main Station so as to see the half you missed, you have to get off and line up again. So we managed to avoid a mega-meltdown 2min after entering the park by spotting the Dumbo ride! Yay for Dumbo!! The wait time was about 5min and the boys were enthralled…as were we. Dumbo was an awesome, classic ride. The rides themselves only last maybe 2-3min (this is just a guess as I didn’t actually time anything, but it felt no longer.) Which allowed the droves of people to get a turn on many of the rides.




By the time we were done on Dumbo & the Teacups(yay for the classics!), the lines were ridiculous! We were glad to have 2 days in the park. It allowed us to meander through the whole park, taking it all in. When we found Buzz Lightyear, the boys were ecstatic! A 25min wait for the Buzz ride, in which the boys were so good, although they were not too thrilled by some overly friendly old lady who wanted to touch their skin! This ride was awesome. Some of the wait time was winding around inside the building where they had lots or the kids to look at and keep them amused. The ride was one of those continuous ones in which you get on & off while it is still moving. Laser gun shooting at targets as the little spacecraft we were in wound around the track. We ended up going on this ride again the next day, although Master 4 was scared of the massive Zurg they had at the end of the ride for you to shoot.

20140119_105241 20140120_121952


We then headed for Space Mountain…a roller coaster. The boys met the height requirement so we weren’t worried that it would be too bad. Rookie mistake! It was the fastest roller coaster I have ever been on IN THE PITCH DARK!! Couldn’t even see my fingers held up to my eyes! Hubby & I screamed like school girls & my poor boys were petrified!!!! Not a word was uttered by either one of them. I had Master 4 with me & I clung on to his leg so he knew I was there (although he could hardly miss the screaming!) and Hubby had Master 3 tucked under his arm as he was getting thrown around so much! Needless to say they were very meak when we got off & politely asked not to go on that one again!


We eventually got on the train, but only from the halfway mark as it so was NOT worth waiting at Main Station for the extra 5 min worth of time on the train. We did this about 3-4 times over the 2 days.


We were lucky enough to step off the train & straight onto the historical bus…that travelled all off about 500m. But the boys were entertained. We wandered around after that and ended up being in time for the Lion King musical show. We all enjoyed that. It must have been about half an hour long. It was good to be able to sit & just relax without feeling like we were missing out. We didn’t bother going on anymore rides after that but walked around the places we hadn’t been to yet, eyeing up our plan for the next day!


Back at the hotel, we grabbed something to eat (not alot on offer if you are a fussy eater! So the boys had to be happy with chips while Hubby & I got something a little more authentic)


The hotel was great, except that their pool was undergoing maintenance while we were there! Really geared up for families, with staff handing out an unless amount of Disney stickers whenever they came across a child! The lounge we had this meal in even had a large screen tv with a daily Disney movie playing to entertain any kids in the hotel. They also had a small arcade that allowed for free games between certain times. Master 4 got lucky as he was with me while Master 3 was with Hubby upstairs when we happened upon it. Score! Hubby then had to take both of them there after we got back to the room. I got a few minutes of peace & quiet!





At night, if you are lucky enough to have the right room (which we did as I was at least organised in that respect. When booking the room I requested a room overlooking the park for this very reason)there are fireworks over the park, accompanied by music over the hotel TV! The first night, Hubby & I set our alarm so we wouldn’t miss it but couldn’t bring ourselves to wake the boys. We let them watch the next night instead. Amazing! And went on for ages! No photos though, you will just have to use your imagination.

The next morning we made a major blunder…thinking that the craziness would be less due to the fact that it was Sunday. Wrong!!! The line for the free shuttle was never ending & just kept getting longer. So we just bit the bullet & went to stand in in.You can see all the people in this picture!



Yes, they had Smarties for breakfast! Fussy eaters + PACKED restaurant = improvising! We had breakfast proper at the park. Yes, you guessed it…chips! It’s all part of the holiday experience, right?



We were better prepared for the mayhem, and managed to get on a few more rides.



Kids were able to drive the cars by themselves (accompanied by an adult of course)




Hubby wanted to go on one of the rides that the kids couldn’t go on so we had a drink & watched  while he had his go. Being a single rider, get got to stand in a special line & fit in when there was a single seat somewhere for him. We waited about 20min before we happened to see him on the ride. It was a crazy fast one! The came shooting out of that tunnel like a rocket!



Toy Story World was a hit. We went on a couple of rides here. Slinky the dog, a really tame roller coaster especially for kids. And the parachute troopers ride. One of those that go up about 5 stories & then drop. But it wasn’t a fast drop, but one to emulate parachutes dropping. Master 4 wanted to get off before we had even reached the top of the first ascent! Master 3 was hilarious! The look on his face had everyone watching in hysterics…his mother included!



And we saw another show, this time Magic Mickey. It was in 3D. Very entertaining




Enough photos, mum!



Another trip on the train & then treat time!






Yes, we sat on the sidewalk, watching the hordes stream passed!




And yes, you guessed it…chips for dinner again at the hotel (although Hubby and I had some sort of burger) The boys watched the fireworks & still talk about them…2 months later! Definitely worth a visit…just be prepared (unlike we were!) and take a 2 day pass if at all possible, you will need it. The hotel was great too…just don’t bother even trying to get into the buffet restaurant!




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s